Monday, September 8, 2008

The Language Barrier


Okay this post is for all those bilingual people out there. Especially the spanish speakers. Have you ever had that really akward experience of starting to talk to someone in spanish who you thought spoke spanish but didn't? Yeah, that totally happened today. There I was just waiting in line to get my lunch at the Union, listening to the only spanish music I have (Juanez, "mi sangre" yeah baby!), and then I see a "spanish-looking" guy at the register. Call me racist, a racial profiler, or just plain stupid, but I went for it. So I start, "hola, como estas?"....and then the silence ensues....more silence....I think, "maybe he didn't hear me" and I repeat the greeting. Then he slowly looks up to me and says (with a not-so-nice tone in his voice), "I don't know what the F&*%@ you just said, but it wasn't english." Yeah, talk about akward. I think my face turned as red as the Coke cup I was holding and I felt as dumb as Brian Regan in a spelling contest. It would be okay if this was the first incident, but no, there have been many: the girl at church; the man on TRAX, a fellow construction worker, and the random kid wearing a mexico shirt and blaring Banda in his car (yeah he deffinately didn't speak spanish). So here's a warning to all you RM's: It's better to be 100% sure they speak it (and want to speak it), than to be a 100% certifiable idiot. I know in Matthew it says to let your light shine, but just don't blind people with it, they don't react very well.

No comments: