Thursday, September 11, 2008

Public Transportation

Okay, today was the best day yet. After a grueling 6 hours straight of class and study I headed to the trax station to catch a train up campus. The train had just left so I had about 25 minutes to wait for the next one. Seated next to me (see photo above) was a young girl who looked emotionally distrought. I know what you're thinking, I talked to her and helped her find solution to her quagmire through the gospel, but no I did the exact opposite. I put in my headphones like I was listening to my music and allowed her a false sense of security (I'm the kid looking thoroughly engaged in his electronic device there pretending like he's not listening....ha, yeah right). Wicked, I know, but enjoyable by what followed. She perceded to call "Jeff", obiously the guilty party and boyfriend. Apparently Jeff had made comments after a full year of dating that he might like to go out with other girls.....(after a comment like that, you're dead as a doornail Jeff, even I know that)....to which "Suzy" did not take kindly to. Then, for what turned into a 30 minute discourse by Suzy, which lasted the rest of the wait and the whole ride up campus, on the topic of what was a "long turm relationship." I couldn't help but chuckle at the conversation. First because she was in a very public place and by this time there were 3 or 4 other people "nanchalantly" listening in. The whole time I wanted to scream at her, "YOU'RE IN PUBLIC! WE DON'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR FAILED LOVE LIFE!" We can hardly handle our own for pete's sake (who is pete by the way?). Secondly I laughed because obviously Suzy and Jeff were not on the same page with the whole "long term relationship" thing. And quite frankly, I'm with Jeff. If after a year you've become bored with a person, why would you think it would last 4 more years, or for us long-term-goalers, eternity? So after today I have come to two very important conclusions. First, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never (enough?) talk about personal things in public because one way or another it will make on to the internet......oops. Second, if you're going to mantain a "long term relationship" make sure it's with a person that can surprise you every day with something new you haven't seen before (and no this does not include mercedes or lamburginis or feraris), and make sure as heck that you can do the same or you'll be the one like Suzy trying to define "long term" with such short sighted peramiters.

No comments: